Saturday, February 28, 2009

Light

Light:(noun), the natural agent that stimulates sight and makes things visible, a source of illumination, understanding of a problem or mystery; enlightenment. (Verb), come upon or discover by chance.
I am struck by how similar my photographic process is with my role as a therapist. In my photographic search, I am always looking for the beauty that light "makes visible".  I literally "discover by chance" or design an image that catches me emotionally, and I focus my eye and my camera on it, clicking the shutter instantaneously. I focus on the light, the shadows and the subject that is revealed. 
So, too, with my private therapy practice, where I have the privilege to sit with those who are looking to understand a problem or a mystery in their lives, find some enlightenment and some relief.  In our work together, hopefully, we "come upon" a solution, an answer, and they are able to move forward, to "see the light" of a new way of looking at something that used to block their path to the life they want. Both experiences are enlightening and for that, I have gratitude. 

No comments:

Post a Comment